You'll step back in time when you stroll the streets of the Waterford National Historic Landmark in Waterford, Virginia. Settled in 1733 by Quakers from Pennsylvania, it is an extraordinary collection of 18th- and 19th-century buildings set within 1,420 acres of farmland located only one hour away from Washington, D.C.
64% of Waterford's 97 homes were built before 1861. Only four were build after 1922 (See map).
The village’s homes, places of business, and the fields that surround them today look much as they did in the 19th century. With its rich heritage in furniture manufacturing, farming, Civil War actions, and African-American life, Waterford is a wonderful place to visit.
What You Can Do
- Take a walking tour of lower Main Street
- View the Waterford Foundation's walking tour booklet for all or Waterford's historic houses
- Visit an historic cemetery
- Walk an interpretive nature trail
- Or visit us the first weekend in October for our annual Waterford Fair.
Here is a list of Loudoun County tourism sites including historic sites and museums.
A Lower Main Street Walking Tour
Hike the Phillips Farm Trail
Visit the Waterford Foundation
Corner Store Studio
Floral design + classes; Seasonal bulbs, seeds + plants; Local, handmade + found things.
40183 Main Street,
This small market provides locally grown lamb, hand made woolen products, and local crafts as well as some groceries.
15487 Second Street(540 882-3631)
Hours*: 10 - 7, Mon. - Fri., 10 - 5 Sat
* Unless the sheep need attending
Katherine Riedel Oils, Watercolors, Pastel Paintings
Her art has been exhibited and won awards at multiple, regional juried shows. Her studio is in her 1886 home, which once was a dry goods store and millinery.
To find her hours or make an appointment, contact Katherine
A list of Loudoun County museums and historical sites is available. You can also visit the Loudoun County Visitor Centerlocated in Leesburg, Virginia 20175, (800) 752-6118 or (703) 771-2617.
Selected Waterford History Links
- Waterford - African-Americans
- Waterford - Agriculture
- Waterford - Before the war
- Waterford - Churches
- Waterford - Civil War battle, 1862
- Waterford - Commercial Development
- Waterford - Furniture
- Waterford - Mills
- Waterford - Origins
- Waterford - Schools
- Waterford - Shopping in 1870
- Waterford - Timeline and overview
- Waterford - 1930's